Saturday, July 30, 2011

Canning Tomatoes

This is our first time canning tomatoes so we followed Rhoda's directions from the Southern Hospitality Blog. She gave really good directions and step by step pictures. We just did a few tonight and will finish tomorrow but I have to say it was not as hard as I had imagined. It was really messy but not at all difficult. Now we just hope they taste good. :)


First, we put the jars in the oven at 170 degrees.



 Then we boiled the tomatoes for 3 minutes.
We then peeled the skin off. 


 Chopped and put in a pot.
 We then let them simmer for around 30 minutes.
 Then we put them in the jars. Added salt and closed them up.
Oh... In the middle we did clean up our mess that we made. :)
And put the lids in the water to heat.
This is how they looked in the end. A little while later we started hearing them pop. So now we will have garden tomatoes in the winter. I am looking forward to trying them.

I am also planning on canning some salsa as well. My cousin which is also a blogger over at Bullets and Biscuits gave me directions on how to do that. So this week is already filling up with plans for canning! :)

What do you can? 

3 comments:

  1. Dang girl! These look awesome! Nice job on 'em. That's great Caleb is in the kitchen with ya. You got a good man there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook together a lot. If we ever build a house that will probably be the biggest room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my list to do very soon!!! I have never canned anything on my own, but the only thing that grew in my garden this year was Roma tomatoes...they are growing out of my ears!!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog
    1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

    LaKeta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting our blog! We really appreciate each comment! :)